Rethink the Night 2021 - be part of the first online workshop
8th International Lighting Design Workshop (ILDW)
- The entire workshop will be online and take place from October 5th to 7th between 12pm and 8pm.
- We will pay 50% of the tuition fee for applicants.
- You can find more information on Rethink The Night!
How to take part in this fantastic workshop:
- The places are allocated according to a raffle system in the presence of two professors and a WINGS employee.
- Apply for our master’s degree program by August 31 and automatically take part in the raffle.
The workshop encompasses
1. KNOWLEDGE about following topics
- Cultural Background of Light Choreographies
- Semantics of Dynamic Lighting Patterns
- Dynamic Visual Perception
- Dynamic Lighting Technologies
- Dimming Technologies
- Lighting Control Systems and respective Interfaces
to be conveyed to the participants with respective lectures.
2. EXPERIMENTATION TRAINING consisting in the fulfilment of following tasks
- Configuration and Masking of a 100 RGB-LED-Pixel to be arranged accordingly over a floor surface along a band of 4m length
- Lighting Control Exercises – Programming of Dimming Curves, Scenes and Cues
- Generation of a Light Event Timeline according to the respective evaluation of the timeline of auditory stimuli of a selected soundtrack
- Dynamic Lighting Programming and Specification of all intermediate scenes according to the generated timeline
- Implementation of the derived Light Choreography composition on the masked floor surface, backlit by a digital pixel-addressable colour tuneable configuration
- Discussion about possible Fields of Application of the finished design
Wismar University is supporting this workshop since 2014 among other European academic institutes. The headline is first and foremost a plea for a linguistic approach to lighting design, which is being introduced by the workshop to serve its participants as a precious resource of training in visual semantics of night and of developing literacy of night ambience simulations.
Impressions (Video): Synesthetic exercises - Workshops in Lagonissi / Attica 2020.