Ph.D. Acharawan Chutarat
Areas of Expertise
- Sustainable design and energy in building
- Lighting and daylighting research and design
- Lighting in urban spaces
- Ph.D. degree in Building Technology, School of Architecture and Planning, emphasized on energy in building, daylight and artificial intelligent algorithm in design processes, Massachusetts Institute of Technology ,Cambridge, MA , 2001.
- Energy simulations using DOE2.1E for assessing the impact of adoption of energy efficient electrical products, control technologies, zoning strategies on commercial building energy use, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Master of Sciences in Architectural Engineering, Broad curriculum in Illuminating Engineering with emphasis on daylighting , CAD, and Human Factors, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA ,1994.
- Certificate: Indoor Air Quality, Harvard University, School of Public Health, Boston, MA, 1998.
- Bachelor of Architecture, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, 1991
- Certified DGNB Consultant (Germany Sustainable Building Council), the first four certified DGNB consultants in Southeast Asia
- 2007-Present: Built Technology and Innovation Track, Head, SoAD, KMUTT
- Direct the program and activities on sustainable education, daylight and lighting application.
- Academic service for communities and Royal projects in various provinces such as Bangkok, Phuket, Chiangmai, Taak and Naan.
- Lecture and conduct local and international workshops/lectures for KMUTT, Asian Institute of Technology, Kasetsart University, Sripratum University, Kasembundit University, Thammasart University, Shinnawattra University,Thailand, Singapore Institute of Architects, Philippines, Italy, United Arab Emirates, Wismar University (Germany) and KTH Sweden.
- Consultant and working committee for various organization and government sectors such as Association of Siamese Architects, Thai Green Building Institute (TGBI), Thai Illuminating Engineering Association (TIEA); Engineering Institute of Thailand (EIT) on Roadway lighting code of practice, Ministry of Energy on Green Life Project and several projects, Ministry of Foreign Affairs on APEC’s glazing specification, Ministry of Interior on Building Code revision on energy-efficient requirements in building, The Crown Property Bureau, Srapratum Palace
- 1987 –Present: Design and Consult integrated architectural design and lighting systems with respect to sustainable design.
- Light Installation: We Are Rainbow (2015) at Bangkok Art and Cultural Center for IDAHOT, Beautiful Mind (2015) at Thailand International Lighting Fair
- Sport facilities: Indoor stadium Huamark in Bangkok (Sport Authority of Thailand) renovation; Bangkok Arena for World Cup Futsal 2012 as an architect and lighting designer; and Sport Authority of Thailand’s head quarter as a sustainable designer
- Master plan: Haan Head Quarter; Taak School and Redemptorist vocational school for people with disabilities in Nongkai, Thailand; Al Reem island lighting master plan, an extension island from Abu Dhabi; Nakarapirom Park; R35 School-Phangnga
- Institute, religious and public buildings: Suwannabhumi Airport—Satellite one, extension; Dubai International Airport Terminal 3, new extension with Siemens team; C-ASEAN—ASEAN Business hub and conference center; Siriraj medical complex; New Thai Parliament; Sathira-dhammasathan Temple; Traimitr Temple; Tienfa Temple; Mahidol Museum; PSU Museum; King Taksin Museum; Ivy Bound school Sukhumvit 39 as a lighting designer. Sustainable designer for Energy Plus School in Taak, Thailand; Suwannabhumi Airport, operation sector with KMUTT expert team; Façade lighting installation at Bangkok Art and Cultural Center (BACC) for LGBT; Lighting mock up study at Ayuthaya’s Pompetch and Prayurawongsawas Temple with Wismar university
- Hospitality and residential buildings: Solar Decathlon Europe 2014, France, Srapatum Palace—façade lighting; Amornvivat resident; Lertkajornsuk’s condominium as an interior designer; Limprana’s resident; Anatara Bangkok, Samui and Phuket; M Sathorn Hotel renovation; Club Andaman Beach Resort, Phuket; W Hotel, Maldive; façade lighting for various condominiums and residential in India, Dubai and Abu Dhabi; Bright Condo Sukhumvit24, as a lighting designer
- Corporate, commercial and retail: Haan Head Quarter; Bayer façade design; ENCO building (Daylight); Ogilvy head quarter, Bangkok; Spice Story retail shop; Jaspal group shops; Café Inn shop; Euro Style shop; Thai Oil Headquarter; Thai Health Promotion Headquarter as well as many office buildings; restaurants; Metrobus Mall and Paragon Bay Mall in Abu Dhabi as a lighting designer
Professional Affiliations and Awards
- Thai Green Building Institute Committee (2016-2018)
- Smart Cities, Clean Energy Project jury committee, Thailand (2017)
- Building Energy Code (BEC) expert committee member, Thailand (2017-2018)
- ARCASIA Committee on Green and Sustainable Architecture (ACGSA) (2016-2018)
- Solar Decathlon Europe 2014, Advisor Thai team, 2nd prize Public Choice Award, France
- Lux Pacifica Board Member (2011-present)
- Advisor for 2nd Prize Public Choice Award on Solar Decathlon Europe 2014
- Registered Professional, DGNB Consultant(Germany Sustainable Building Council) 2013
- Member of Architect Councils of Thailand (ACT) committee (2008-2010)
- Registered architect in Thailand (ASA) (since 1991), member of ACT and Member of ASA committee (2008, 2016-2018).
- IIIuminating Engineering Association of Thailand Committee (TIEA) (since 2002)
- MIT alumni committee (since 2003-2006)
- Member of Illuminating Engineering Society of North America (IESNA) (since 1994)
- Member of International Association of Lighting Designers (IALD) (since 1995)
- Salomon Research Award 1st price by Harvard Medical School, Harvard University, Massachusetts, USA (1996)
- MIT’s president of ASHRAE’s student chapter (1996)
- Royal Thai Government Scholarship for studying Ph.D. Programs in Building Technology at MIT, Ministry of University Affairs, Thailand (1995)
über Fernstudium Master